About Us

libraryfade

“The Council Bluffs Public Library is committed to enriching, informing and empowering our community”

Based on feedback from the community, the library is operated under a Strategic Plan designed to meet the changing needs of Council Bluffs citizens, families, and businesses.

There has been a library in Council Bluffs since 1866, when it was a subscription library for only men over the age of 12. The Carnegie Library was built in 1904 at 200 Pearl Street and opened as a “Free Public Library” for all. The current building at 400 Willow Avenue opened in 1998. It was built for $13.5 million dollars and is 67,500 square feet.

By the Numbers

100Number of Public Computers
4Meeting Rooms for Public Use
48,738Registered Card Holders
186,970Materials in Collection
1,733Average Number of Check-outs / Day
67,500Square ft. of Building
40Full and Part-time staff
68Hours Open / Week

Library Board

The Council Bluffs Public Library is governed by the Board of Library Trustees and is comprised of 9 members who are appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by City Council. Each member serves a six year term. As defined in the Board By-laws, the primary duties of the Board include:

  • Serves as a liaison between the library and the community
  • Acts as a policy-making board
  • Assists in budget preparation
  • Control of expenditure of funds allocated to the library
  • Responsible for the appointment of a librarian

The current members of the Library Board of Trustees are:

  • Steve Regan – President
  • Warren Weber – Vice President
  • Sue Martin – Secretary
  • Jordan Preston
  • Anne Rohling
  • Laural Ronk
  • Larry Schulenberg
  • Idella Span
  • James Watson

For more information please contact: Kathy Rieger – Library Director