The Council Bluffs Public Library in Council Bluffs, IA is in search of a part-time Library Assistant in Technology. This is a 20 hour position and may require days, evenings, and weekends. The pay range is $16.92 – $18.84 per hour. The position will be opened until filled.Please send your cover letter, resume, and 3 references, along with a completed application (found online) to Krieger@cbpl.lib.ia.us.
NATURE OF WORK:
The library assistant is concerned with the internal workings of the library. He/she provides technical level support to professional librarians, other staff and the public and may be in charge of a specific library unit. The work in this position typically requires the application of advanced technical or specialized skills and aptitudes which can be gained from experience or education beyond an entry position. The Library Assistant performs paraprofessional duties and assists the librarian by following established rules, procedures and policies. This position may work not only in technical services, but user services as well. An employee in this position is responsible for routine library tasks and is required to develop proficiency in one of the specialized areas of technology work. This position may be assigned to work on special projects.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Helps to establish and maintain a high level of customer service performance standards.
• Configure and install new or replacement hardware and/or software as instructed by IT staff
• Perform basic troubleshooting and routine updates to public computers, staff computers and library devices.
• Provide training and assistance to patrons and staff in basic library/technology literacy skills including use of public computer, online catalog, reference resources, electronic resources, devices, and the Internet.
• Monitor and report technology concerns to IT staff
• Ensure that routine/preventive maintenance on assigned equipment is completed and provide troubleshooting, diagnosis, and minor repair of hardware and software.
• Work with IT to solve common hardware, software, and network problems on the phone or in-person.
• Assist in maintaining a clean and orderly lab
• Troubleshoot and maintain multiple websites
• Create and maintain internal and external webpages
• Create and maintain internal and external webpages for data entry
• Create and maintain WordPress templates for staff
• Troubleshoot issues with webpages and code
• Advise Leadership Team on website design and functionality
• Revise and improve the website when appropriate and necessary
• Performs work within established guidelines and refers department problems and concerns to a manager.
• Assists in overseeing the appropriate use of library facilities.
• Required to perform at least one special project/duty on a permanent basis.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
ABILITIES AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
Experience/Education: Certificate or 2-year degree in technology or computer science or experience in technology or the computer field.
• Ability to read, understand, and follow oral and written instructions and make decisions within established guidelines.
• Ability to form effective working relationships with staff and general public.
• Ability to work in a pleasant and effective manner with customers, co-workers, other agencies and departments.
• Ability to work with a minimum of supervision and regularly take personal initiative to execute work responsibilities.
• Ability to be creative, flexible and to prioritize tasks.
• Ability to use independent judgment to make decisions.
• Special abilities are required for this job; CSS, PHP, HTML
• Must be able to work days and weekends; and flexible enough to switch when necessary.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, sit, talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls and to reach with hands and arms. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and various office equipment. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects of 40 pounds or more. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
General Application. Click here to download an application. Applications can be printed and returned to the Circulation Desk.
You are using an outdated browser. Sorry, this web site doesn't support Internet Explorer 6. To get the best possible experience using our website we recommend that you upgrade to a newer version or other web browser. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below. It is completely free for download: