Browse Items (6227 total)

Hinky_Dinky_09_23_1970_001.tif
Cutting The Ribbon . . . formally opening the new Hinky Dinky Supermarket at Bluff Plaza Wednesday is Mayor John Pogge, center. Present for the opening are C.A. Monasee, president of Hinky Dinky; J.M. Newman, chairman of the board; Ed Brown, store…

Hinky_Dinky_09_20_1970_003.tif
Frozen Foods In New Style Cases . . . some 75 feet long and well lighted are one of the features of the new store. Another feature is the "on premise" bakery section. The store contains 20,000 square feet, 15,000 feet of display and sales, and was…

Hinky_Dinky_09_20_1970_002.tif
From The Manager's Office . . . the new Hinky Dinky store looks like this. Workers arrange the last items on the long row of shelves that are nearly completed. To operate the store requires 55 employees under Manager Ed Brown who has been in charge…

Hinky_Dinky_09_20_1970_001.tif
Getting ready for opening of Hinky Dinky's new store at Oak Street and Broadway in the new Bluff Plaza is a big job. A whole troop of employees have been working for several weeks to stock the shelves in preparation for the grand opening.

Hinky_Dinky_05_01_1957_001.tif
New Supermarket . . . and 300-car parking lot built by Hinky Dinky Food Stores occupy a full square block at Twenty-eighth St. and West Broadway. It is the largest grocery store in Iowa and will employ about 100 persons.

Hinky_Dinky_08_26_1956_001.tif
The plans for this new supermarket at Twenty-eighth St. and West Broadway were revealed Saturday by Hinky-Dinky Stores of Omaha. Grading for the $300,000 structure has been started. The store will open late in the spring of 1957 and employ 100…

Hinky_Dinky_10_13_1955_001.tif
Fly-In Supermarket . . . planned by Hinky-Dinky at Glen Ave. and Broadway will look like this. The cars will enter the rooftop parking lot from Pierce St. Sketch by G.B. Larson, architect.

Hinky_Dinky_1939_001.tif
Hinky Dinky Supermarket at Glen Avenue and West Broadway in Council Bluffs, 1939

Hilt_Truck_Line_07_20_1969_001.jpg
In Charge Of Establishing . . . new bases in Council Bluffs for their respective transportation firms are Robert Hilt of Freeman Transfer, John Hornung of Watkins Motor Lines and Jay Trannell of Nebraska Coast Express. They will headquarter at Hilt…

Hilt_Truck_Line_10_27_1968_001.jpg
With the steel structure completed and the masonry work under way, workmen continue construction on what is to be the Hilt Truck Line Co. from Lincoln. The building is being built on South 35th Street. The general contractor is Dale Steufer.

Hilt_Truck_Line_07_19_1968_001.jpg
Hilt Truck Lines officially broke ground for its new terminal on 6.7 acres of ground near Thirty-fifth Street and Fourteenth Avenue Thursday afternoon. Participating in the ceremony are LeRoy Hilt, president, Robert Hilt, vice president, Ronald…

Changing_Scene_7_14_1957_050.jpg
Today...service stations are a common site [sic] in Council Bluffs. But the site of the original station at Seventh St. and Broadway has yielded to a super market parking lot and a cleaners' pickup station.

Changing_Scene_7_14_1957_049.jpg
Council Bluffs Changing Scene: This was the first service station in Council Bluffs, according to David D. Jones of Excelsior Springs, Mo. He sent this picture to The Nonpareil via his son, Don Jones of 2422 Avenue F. David Jones, now 79, was an…

Changing_Scene_7_07_1957_048.jpg
Today...the site is occupied by a new service station. And there many [sic] other changes in the last 50 years, such as the removal of the other buildings and addition of traffic signals.

Changing_Scene_7_07_1957_047.jpg
Council Bluffs Changing Scene: Back in 1908 this was the residence of J. C. Carson at 14 S. 1st St. it is the northwest corner of South First and Pierce Sts. The old picture came from Mrs. Harry Ratekin, 614 Damon St. Note the picket fence, brick…

Changing_Scene_6_30_1957_046.jpg
Today...most of the South Main Street site is occupied by the Sears Roebuck and Co. store. The modern two-story building at 28 S. Main St., replaces the older three-story structure which burned in 1925. In the meantime, John Beno and Co. moved into…

Changing_Scene_6_30_1957_045.jpg
Council Bluffs Changing Scene: Back in 1898, the John Beno and Co. store occupied from 28 to 26 S. Main St. Founder John Beno started business here in 1866. This is one of the illustrations in the booklet published on the the Trans-Mississippi and…

Changing_Scene_6_23_1957_044.jpg
Today...the building is occupied by the Younkerman Seed Co. and it still serves as a warehouse. The structure carries the same general outline it did in 1898, but shows extensive remodeling and several additions.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2