Browse Items (102 total)

  • Tags: Churches

Changing_Scene_1956_3_18_1956_022.jpg
Today...the church faces S. Sixth St., slightly southwest of the original site. According to history, St. Paul's was the first stone church building in the city, the present church being completed in 1886. This is the 100th year of St. Paul's in…

Changing_Scene_1956_3_18_1956_021.jpg
Council Bluffs Changing Scene--The first St. Paul's Episcopal Church as it appeared after completion in 1862. According to the church records, this building stood on the site of the present Pottawattamie County jail, facing north on the alley…

Changing_Scene_1955_11_13_1955__085.jpg
Today...the Reorganized Latter Day Saints worship in this beautiful church at Washington Ave. and Elder St. One of the largest churches in the city, it was formally opened in January of 1953. Cost of the blond brick structure, including the lot and…

Changing_Scene_1955_11_13_1955_084.jpg
Council Bluffs Changing Scene--This is the first building occupied by the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints. Built in 1869, it was west of Glen Ave. on Pierce St. This picture, from the collection of Mrs. Guy A. Nelson of…

Changing_Scene_1955_1_30_1955_009.jpg
Today...the present First Baptist church occupies the same site at First Av. and S. Sixth St., was built in 1924. History of the Baptist faith in Council Bluffs dates back in 1856. An old story on the church gives the Baptist group credit for…

Changing_Scene_1955_1_30_1955_008.jpg
Council Bluffs Changing Scene...Here is First Baptist Church as it appeared between 1879 and 1924 at First Ave. and S. Sixth St. This building was used by the congregation for 45 years, and this picture was drawn from an old sketch by Gail Connelly,…

Changing_Scene_1954_5_6_1954_023.jpg
Council Bluffs Changing Scene--From 1860-1888 St. Francis Xavier Church was located on Pearl St. just South of Willow Ave. This later became the site of the Miriam Block, which was removed in the late 1940s.

Changing_Scene_1954_4_20_1954_022.jpg
Today...even with a face lifting of new steps, added about 10 years ago, the exterior of Holy Family is much the same as when it was built in 1908.

Changing_Scene_1954_4_29__1954_021.jpg
Council Bluffs Changing Scene--Another old picture from a collection of Ray Wickham, contractor, shows Holy Family Church being completed in 1908. The unit is located at Avenue B and 23rd St.

congregational church bw.jpg
Congregational Church Council Bluffs erected in fall and winter of 1869 & 1870. Basement occupied March 31, 1870. Destroyed by a gale of wind May 6, 1870. Rebuilt (except spire) 1870 & 1871.

ST. PAUL EPISCOPAL CHURCH.jpg
Photograph of St. Paul Episcopal Church. Located at 223 South Sixth Street. Built in 1886 and torn down in 1972. New Pottawattamie County Court House is on this site.

PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.jpg
Photograph of the Presbyterian Church. Northeast corner of South Seventh Street and Willow Avenue. First Presbyterian Church built on the same site.

Central Baptist Church
old Highway 6 & Orchard Ave
9/84: New Pastor: Rev. Glen Eveland (has own file)

Central_Baptist_Church_8_18_1973_003.jpg
An Open Bible...is being painted on the north outside wall of Central Baptist Church by the Rev. James Channell of Sioux Falls, S.D. The Rev. Charles Proud, passtor of the church, is standing on the ladder below. The gigantic Bible measures 11 feet…

Central_Baptist_Church_11_3_1973_002.jpg
Central Baptist Church...graces a hilltop at the outskirts of Council Bluffs on some five acres of land. The cement block structure is painted white with charcoal trim. Ample parking area enables worshippers to park near the church at the ground…

Central_Baptist_Church_11_3_1973_001.jpg
The Rev. Charles Proud...looks over his spacious sanctuary which seats comfortably 300 worshippers. Its hanging lights, long windows and light paneling gives it a soft, well lighted effect of richness. The red carpeting in the aisles continues to…

Carter_Lake_Iowa_2_2_2_1962_006.jpg
New Lutheran Church ...located at Ninth and Mayper Streets at Carter Lake is nearing completion.

Carter_Lake_Iowa_2_1_20_1957_003.jpg
Religious Functions...are observed on a community basis in the Carter Lake Presbyterian Church.

Broadway United Methodist Church
11 S. 1st St.
Parsonage: 255 Zenith Drive--Built 1964

Broadway_United_Methodist_Church_5_26_1989_016.jpg
Discussing dedication service...of memorial items, including the pulpit Bible are the Rev. Dr. James V. Poulson and the Rev. R. Edwin Haworth St. Dr. Poulsen is senior pastor at Broadway United Methodist Church and the Rev. Mr. Haworth, associate…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2