Browse Items (332 total)

  • Tags: Fire Department

Changing_Scene_1956_3_15_1956_020.jpg
Council Bluffs Changing Scene--At least 50 years ago, the No. 22 Fire Station at Twentieth St. and Broadway looked like this. We're not just sure what the occasion was for the decorations, but even the horses and fire wagons were shined up. …

Changing_Scene_1956_2_26_1956_016.jpg
Council Bluffs Changing Scene--A firehouse scene believed to be at No. 1 station on South Main Street before 1900, finds three typical firefighters playing three handed cribbage. This photo comes from retired fireman Bud Cheyne, 412 Oakland Ave.

Changing_Scene_1955_5_22_1955_037.jpg
Council Bluffs Changing Scene--"Big Mary," as the old time horse drawn ladder wagon of the Council Bluffs Fire Department was known among firemen, posed in front of the old Number 4 fire station at First St. and Broadway in 1888.

Changing_Scene_1953_10_29_1953_025.jpg
Today...at the Bryant-Main-Washington intersection is the fire department's Central Station. The old bell has been transplanted to the roof of the new building. The old sign lies in the attic. Indian Creek is underground. The Post Office has…

img056.tif
A photograph of the Council Bluffs Fire Department fighting a fire.

img058.tif
Two photographs of a statue of a firefighter located at the old Central Station - 29 North Main St.

J.L. Moore Funeral Sept. 15, 1899.jpg
A photograph of the funeral procession of J. L. Moore on September 15, 1899.

CITY MILLS AND NO. 3 ENGINE HOUSE.jpg
Photograph of City Mills in Council Bluffs

Fire_Dept_Fire_Stations_File2_06_11_1983_01.jpg
Straining Under The Weight . . . as he attempts to pull a 50 foot section of hose to the top of the training tower is Alan Knott, Omaha. Firefighter Mike Mattox stands by.

Fire_Dept_Fire_Stations_File2_03_25_1976_01.jpg
Sprucing up a centennial bell at the Oak Street Fire Station are B Shift members Capt. Jerry Carter, Firefighter Don Owens and Engineer Larry Olson. The bell was cast for the Bluffs Fire Department in 1876 and originally hung in the old Central Fire…

Fire_Dept_Fire_Stations_File2_06_09_1974_01.jpg
Presenting A Picture . . . of a 1913 world champion racing horse team to be used in the fire station as City Councilman Ron Cleveland looks on is DeVere Watson of Council Bluffs. The horses were named after a former mayor of Council Bluffs, Lou…

Fire_Dept_Fire_Stations_File2_001.jpg
The statue "The Fireman," was presented to the Fire Department back in the days of the first World War by W.M. Wollman, 606 Oakland Avenue, a retired jeweler. Wollman, a familiar figure at Central Fire Station, was well known for his carving of…

Fire Department & Fire Stations File #2 (05-01-74 -)

Fire_Dept_Fire_Stations_File1_08_14_1966_02.jpg
Alarm's Brain . . . was this copper, brass, glass and white marble beauty known as a repeater. All 40 street fire alarm boxes were monitored through the device. Ticker tape punched out code to correspond to alarm box number.

Fire_Dept_Fire_Stations_File1_08_14_1966_01.jpg
Button Box . . . on the right is demonstrated by Asst. Fire Chief Norman Elgan. Disks inserted in the box would cause the other station's gongs, like one on left, to ring out the fire's location.

Fire_Dept_Fire_Stations_File1_01_13_1967_01.jpg
Fire Chief Norman Elgan and Laymon Simmons, representative of Home Fire Equipment Co. of Anderson, Ind., look over the new 1,000 gallon pumper truck delivered Friday to Central Fire Station. The truck will replace an older piece of equipment.…

Fire_Dept_Fire_Stations_File1_09_25_1970_01.jpg
The Present . . . Central Fire Station will have to be demolished along with other downtown property located in the Urban Renewal shopping center development. The station is now located where the parking garage will be in the new project.

Fire_Dept_Fire_Stations_File1_02_19_1967_01.jpg
Sweeping Effect . . . of 12-foot overhang eliminates "boxy" look of new fire station near Twenty-seventh Street and Broadway, and affords protection for front driveway. Brick facing is red tile, the overhang is painted white, and all the windows are…

Fire_Dept_Fire_Stations_File1_12_26_1965_01.jpg
Fire Station . . . at Twenty-seventh Street and Broadway will be replaced by another facility on another site. At left is toy car racing establishment, formerly eyed as fire station expansion site.

Fire_Dept_Fire_Stations_File1_04_12_1973_01.jpg
Fire Chief Norman Elgan . . . looks on as Mayor Donald Franksen and Councilman Joseph B. Katelman hammer away to free a granite cornerstone erected in 1909 at the old Central Fire Station. The cornerstone will be placed in storage until the new…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2