Browse Items (304 total)

  • Tags: schools

Changing_Scene_1958_b_2_16_1958_007.jpg
Council Bluffs Changing Scene: Old Pierce Street School is shown as it appeared on a postal card printed about 1910. The original portion of the structure was erected in 1884. Two later additions almost tripled its size. The building was…

Changing_Scene_1958_3_16_1958_012.jpg
Today...a new Bloomer School stands on the site and it stretches much farther west along Willow Avenue than the old building. The playground was extended to take in property formerly occupied by homes. The Eighteenth Amendment has been repealed,…

Changing_Scene_11_10_1957_077.jpg
Today...the board sidewalks have disappeared, along with the original building that houses St. Francis Academy. The corner lot at Fifth Avenue and Seventh St. is a side yard for St. Francis High School, right. At left can be seen a corner of the…

Changing_Scene_11_10_1957_076.jpg
Council Bluffs Changing Scene: This is the St. Francis Academy, as it appeared in the Illustrated Atlas of Pottawattamie County published in 1885. The school, at Fifth Ave. and Seventh St., was founded as a private institution by the Sisters of…

Changing_Scene_1956_10_21_1956_079.jpg
Today...a shot from the same position as that used in the old photo gives this view of Iowa School for the Deaf. The academic building occupies about the same position as the old windmill and blocks the view of many of the other buildings on the…

Changing_Scene_1956_10_21_1956_078.jpg
Council Bluffs Changing Scene--This is now the Iowa School for the Deaf looked before a fire in 1902 destroyed the administration building far left. Note the windmill in the foreground. This picture recently was uncovered among other old…

Changing_Scene_1955_11_27_1955_089.jpg
Today...the same location has taken on a different look. Where the Harris wood lot stood, a fill has been made to bring the playground of Washington School up to the old school, now removed. A part of the new school building shows at left.

Changing_Scene_1955_9_18_1955_069.jpg
Today...at the same site is the present Longfellow School which replaced the old Twentieth Avenue building in 1939. It is a modern 23-classroom building plus the auditorium, library, and gym. Immediately following the completion of the present…

Changing_Scene_1955_9_18_1955_068.jpg
Council Bluffs Changing Scene--The old Twentieth Avenue School as it appeared just a few years before the new building was built at Twentieth Avenue and S. 10th St. Started out as a four room building before 1900, the old building was built in…

Changing_Scene_1955_5_8_1955_033.jpg
Council Bluffs Changing Scene--Bloomer School building at the corner of Willow Ave. and South Seventh St., is shown as it appeared on the original dedication program of August 26, 1881. Accompanying this picture of the new school was the program and,…

Changing_Scenes_1954_11_14_1954_067.jpg
Today...modern Bloomer School stands in the same location at Willow Ave. and 7th St. It was build just 30 years ago when the old school was removed. The old illustrated booklet on Council Bluffs comes from Anita Baum, 515 4th St., and is part of a…

Changing_Scenes_1954_11_14_1954_066.jpg
Council Bluffs Changing Scene--Bloomer School, as shown in a booklet "Council Bluffs of 1889" was one of 15 buildings then in the public school system which cost the city the sum total of $215,800. (That's considerably less than a single building…

Changing_Scene_1954_2_25_1954_007.jpg
Today...The Abraham Lincoln football field stands at the site of the old school. The picture was taken from Fifth Avenue bluffs. The lighted field can be seen from virtually all over the city. It is named Kirn Field, in honor of former A.L.…

Changing_Scene_1954_2_25_1954_006.jpg
Council Bluffs Changing Scene--This is the old Council Bluffs High School as it appeared in 1887 when it served the entire city, In 1900 Abraham Lincoln was built and it was the lone high school until the addition of Thomas Jefferson in the early…

Changing_Scene_1953_11_12_1953_013.jpg
Today...a modern fireproof building has replaced the old structure. It was complete four years after the fire. The wagon trail and most of the small elms are gone but the smooth lawn of the School has an abundance of shade trees. The tower on the…

Changing_Scene_1953_1902_012.jpg
This was the main dormitory and administration building of the Iowa School for the Deaf as it looked in 1887. In 1902, the building burned. Note the wagon trail across the foreground and the row of trees. The lawn was more like a pasture.
[Caption…

Changing_Scene_1953_1887_008.jpg
In 1887, St. Francis Xavier Academy stood at the corner of Seventh St. and Fifth Ave. The building, then surrounded by young trees and a white rail fence, was used as an exclusive girls school which attracted students from all over the Midwest. At…

HIGH SCHOOL.jpg
Photograph of the High School. Located at the top of High School Avenue. Present site of Kirn Field.

DEAF AND DUMB INSTITUTE.jpg
Photograph of Deaf and Dumb Institute. Located at 1600 South Highway 275. This building burned down in 1891. It is now The Iowa School for the Deaf.

BLOOMER SCHOOL.jpg
A photograph of Bloomer School taken in 1887
Output Formats

atom, csv, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2