The Prairie Rose Seed Library was started as a community space for sharing open-pollinated seeds as well as gaining knowledge and information around seed saving and other gardening practices.
How seed checkout works:
- Seeds are available to check out on the first floor at the front Circulation Desk.
- Seed check out is available to anyone with a library account. Cardholder must reside in the state of Iowa.
- A maximum of 10 seed packets are available to check out per account per season.
- We encourage you to collect and return the seed from the plant you grow at home, but there is no obligation to return seeds checked out from the library.
The Prairie Rose Seed Library is made possible through generous seed donations from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, Burpee, High Mowing Seeds, Hudson Valley Seed Company, Pottawattamie Conservation, Seed Savers Exchange, Sow Right Seeds, West Coast Seeds, Prairie Moon Nursery, Boy Scout Troop #5 and our community members!
The Prairie Rose Seed Library hosts a variety of open-pollinated, non-hybrid variety seeds that include vegetable, flower, herb and native plant species. A full listing of available seeds can be found in our online catalog or by visiting the library.
The library also accepts seeds saved by the community. For basic instruction on seed saving techniques, check out this guide by the Community Seed Network. Instruction for seed saving can also be found through the use of a library book about the topic or attending a seed saving program at the library. After learning about seed saving and collecting from your own crop, bring in the saved seeds you would like to share with the library in labeled envelopes or similar containers. Seeds should be cleaned of plant and soil material before packaging, and they should not be broken, split or non-viable seed. Please only bring seed that has been processed. Use the seed donation form here to describe your saved seeds.
There are many community resources that are available to find out related gardening and seed saving information. Please check out these local organizations!
- ISU Extension Office – West Pottawattamie County
- Golden Hills Resource Conservation & Development
- Creektop Gardens – The 712 Initiative
- Pollinator Conservation Resources: North Central Region – Xerces Society
- Planting for Diversity and Supporting the Food Web – Pottawattamie Conservation
- Resources for Native Plant Restoration – Pottawattamie Conservation
- Where to Get Native Plants and Seeds – Pottawattamie Conservation
- Woodlands for Pollinators – Iowa Department of Natural Resources