NOW OPEN… The Council Bluffs Makerspace, located on the second floor of the Council Bluffs Public Library, is a lab for artists, tinkerers, techies, innovators, and entrepreneurs to explore and develop new ideas.
While an appointment is not necessary, we encourage you to contact the Makerspace to inquire about services and to schedule a visit. Call us at 712-323-7553 (ext. 108) or email us.
The lab features MacPro computers and a wide variety of software for creative production. A partial list of hardware, software, and equipment can be found below.
While most of the equipment is only available for use during Makerspace hours, some devices (marked with an * symbol) can be checked out for home use or field recordings. Click here for a complete list of Makerspace policies, including loan rules.
3-D Printing & Scanning
||Design and create 3 dimensional objects. Download and print models from the internet, scan a digital copy of a physical object, or start from scratch with user-friendly CAD software.
- MakerBot Replicator (5th Gen.) 3-D Printer
- LulzBot Mini Desktop 3D Printer
- MakerBot Digitizer Desktop 3-D Scanner
- iSense Portable 3-D Scanner for iPad mini
- Makerware, SketchUp, and other modeling software
||Record and edit audio using professional production tools. Record voice over and dialog, oral histories, music, podcasts, or any other project for work or just fun.
- 6′ by 6′ VOCALBOOTH recording studio
- Blue Yeti Pro Microphones & Sennheiser HD 280 PRO Headphones
- Native Instruments Maschine MK2 Groove Production Studio
- Caliphone Portable PA Speaker System and Mic*
- Yamaha YPG-235 76-key Portable Grand Graded-Action USB Keyboard
- Marantz Professional PMD661MKII Professional Handheld Broadcast Recorder*
- Avid Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, and other music editing software
||Virtual Reality is a computer technology that replicates an environment, real or imagined, and simulates a user’s physical presence and environment in a way that allows the user to interact with it. Makerspace users can build and navigate virtual environments, take an immersive virtual journey to the bottom of the sea or to the surface of Mars, or make/view 360 degree videos.
- Oculus Rift
- Google Cardboard
- Ricoh Theta S 360 degree camera (Coming 2017)
||With littleBits Pro Library, small components snap together for prototyping and learning. Select from an assortment of motors, switches, and sensors, and link to a control module to create small devices that teach basics of coding, electronics, and robotics.
Combining the versatile of LEGO building system with high-technology, LEGO MINDSTORMS is the fun and easy way to build a robot and program it to walk, talk, achieve a goal.
- littleBits Pro Library
- LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 Home & Education Kits
- Raspberry Pi kits
Media Conversion & Duplication
||VHS, VHS-C, DVDs, Vinyl records, Books, Photographs, slides, negatives, 8mm film, Floppy Discs, Media Cards… Whatever your old stuff is stored on, we can help you bring it into the digital age (Yes, even 8-track).
- Audio-Technica AT-LP-USB Direct-Drive Professional Turntable
- Ion Tape 2 PC (audio cassettes)
- Toshibe VHS/DVD 2 PC & Mini VHS adapter
- Fujitsu Scan Scan SV600 professional book scanner
- Roxio Pro and other conversion software
- Epson Perfection V600 Photo/Negative Scanner
- TaoTronics Mono Handheld Scanner
- BestDuplicator 5-in-one DVD/CD Duplicator
- Pioneer 8-track Stereo Deck
- Jumbl 22MP All-In-1 Film & Slide Scanner for 35mm Negative & Slides, 110, 126, & Super 8 Films
- Chinon GAF 3000S Super 8 Variable Speed Sound Film Projector
||Take your creativity out of the library by checking out one of our cameras or camcorders. Insert yourself into an action scene, with our portable green screen. Or take your YouTube channel to the next level using professional editing software.
- GoPro HERO4 camcorders*
- Canon EOS Rebel T5 cameras*
- Canon XA20 Professional Camcorder*
- Logitech HD Pro Webcam
- Celluon PicoPro HD Projector & Projection Screen*
- Chromakey Green Screen and Video Lighting Kit*
- Chromakey Body Suit
- Final Cut Pro X, Adobe Creative Cloud,PhotoKey 6 Pro, and other video/image software
- Poser Pro, Anime Studio Pro, and other animation software
- Telmax TSP2-19 Presidential Teleprompter
||Create a banner, print a CAD design, or design displays for school… Our large-format printer uses 24″ wide, spooled paper for all your printing needs.
Turn a fort or image into a cut design using Silhouette Cameo Cutter. This crafting cutter works with paper, vinyl, cloth, magnet paper, and more. Perfect for scrapbooks, decals, and more.
- Silhouette Cameo
- HP Designjet T120
- GBH Thermal Laminator
- HP Officejet Pro 8620
||The library has a large collection of cake pans for all occasions. Cake pans are located on the second floor of the library (by the cook books) and can be checked out with a library card.
- Birthday cakes
- Holiday cakes
- And More!
- Click here to see the collection
Creative Production Software
||Gadgets are fun, but the software brings a project together. Here are a few of the software programs available on MakerSpace computers:
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Anime Studio Pro 11
- Cheetah 3D
- Final Cut Pro X
- Final Draft 9
- Logic Pro X
- Maschine 2.0 Software
- PhotoKey 6
- Poser Pro
- Pro Tools
- Roxio Creator Pro
- And much more…