The Council Bluffs Public Library Makerspace encourages patrons to explore the creation and fabrication process. Tools, technology, and equipment are made accessible through structured programs and self-exploration in an effort to enrich, inform and empower our patrons.
- The Makerspace is open to patron use during set hours.
- Adults, 18 years or older, and Teens, defined as those in 6th grade through 12th grade, may use the Makerspace. Youth under 6th grade may use the Makerspace if they are accompanied by parent or guardian, who the Library will consider the responsible party, or if they are participating in a Library sponsored program.
- Certain tools, technology, and equipment require a process of certification prior to use. Certifications can be completed through the Library’s website.
- Certain tools, technology, and equipment may require personal protective equipment (PPE) in order to use or operate. If required, the Library will have PPE available for patron use.
- The Library may charge a nominal fee for certain consumable materials.
- Library staff must approve all patron-supplied materials before being used on or with Makerspace tools, technology, and equipment in order to reduce the risk of damage to said tools, technology, and equipment or harm to patrons.
- Patrons must return tools, technology, and equipment to their original locations, in the state they found them, and clean their workspace before departing.
- Food and drink are prohibited in the Makerspace.
- The Council Bluffs Public Library, its staff, and representatives are not responsible if a project is destroyed, does not print correctly, does not work, or does not turn out as expected. The patron understands that the Library, its staff and representatives are not responsible for any manufacturing defects or the quality of workmanship of any of the tools, materials, or equipment supplied through the Makerspace.
- The Council Bluffs Public Library reserves the right to halt, delete, or disallow the creation of items that, in its judgement, violates Federal Law, State Law, City Code, or library policies, including the creation of weapons, obscene materials, or illegal items. The Library reserves the right to disallow a patron’s use of the Makerspace in its entirety.
- Patrons assume all risk inherent to the use of the Makerspace and the tools, technology, and equipment are made accessible through the Makerspace (including those items available to check-out).
- Through use of the Makerspace and the tools, technology, and equipment made accessible through the Makerspace (including those items available to check-out), patrons are agreeing to assume the entire responsibility for the defense of and to pay, indemnify and hold the Library (including employees and volunteers) harmless from, and hereby release the Library from any and all claims, liability for damage to property or bodily injury (including death) resulting from the use, condition, operation, or possession of the equipment, including damage or injury caused by the negligence of the Library employees and volunteers or by the patrons’ reliance on incorrect or negligent representations, instructions, or advice by the Library employees and volunteers. Patrons agree that no warranties, express or implied, including merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, have been made by the Library in connection with any tools, technology, and equipment. In no event shall the Library be liable for special, direct, indirect, or consequential damages in connection to use of the Makerspace the tools, technology, and equipment are made accessible through the Makerspace (including those items available to check-out).
Adopted: July 21, 2021
Approved: July 21, 2021